Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Chris Majewski (majewski_AT_cs.ubc.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 22:54:35 EEST

Daniel James <daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com> writes:
> As for having plenty of spare CPU cycles for the task, whose fault is
> it that people think they need a 1Ghz machine to type email and
> listen to CDs?

The manufacturers'! The problem is that PCs have become too
cheap. What I see now is a huge potential market for designer PCs -
machines that will be sufficiently expensive to appeal to your average
yuppie. This could be a good thing, if it means the introduction of
machines that are quieter and better looking than the generic PC from
the chop-shop down the street. Speaking of quiet, I've found a way to
make my generic PC nearly silent, though it may not be robust enough
for mass manufacture. Anybody know why PC power supplies always have
fans? Laptop ones don't. What is so *fundamentally* different about
the power requirements of PCs and laptops?

-chris