Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: tempered tuning and guitar tuner

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: tempered tuning and guitar tuner
From: Chris Majewski (majewski_AT_cs.ubc.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 23:09:23 EEST

Samuel S Chessman <chessman_AT_tux.org> writes:

> In any event, I recommend checking Dave Phillip's sound pages for questions
> of the sort "Is there any XXX software for linux?" as you will always get
> the definitive answer there.

Yeah, I did that a couple months ago, and compiled about five
different tuners, none of which worked. Unfortunately, in general,
that has been my experience with sound software for linux. That said,
there's some really great stuff out there. I just wish people would
resist the urge to reinvent the wheel and collaborate on making
existing software better. For example, the fact that there are about 10,000
different soundfile editors for linux suggests to me that there isn't
a single good one. I'm not really a windows user, but when I talk to
windows people about sound editing they invariably say "oh yeah,
SoundForge" or "oh yeah, CoolEdit" which suggests to me that soundfile
editors under windows actually work.

-chris