RE: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Jason (hormonex_AT_yankthechain.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 14:40:38 EEST

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, James Mansion wrote:
> > actually just playing the song; some CD-ROMs can rip at >20x
> > real-time speed. Your CD-ROM is spinning fast because it's
>
> I wish. My Gateway portable has a 20x drive but Paranoia has
> to keep rereading and it rips at about double speed, or slightly
> worse.
>
> Does anyone know if slowing the drive is likely to help?

It's been my experience that slowing the drive helps anything where data
integrity is paramount. Hence why you should always burn audio CD's at 1x.
Of course, it's entirely possible that it's entirely superstition to think
that way; the disc is moving so fast already that the idea of
changing it's read time by a factor of 10 or 20 is really going to effect
the quality of the read is silly.
But then, I don't have nearly as many coasters as other people I know.

--
YankTheChain.com - You can pretend we're not here. That's what I do.

,