Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 03:35:25 EEST

> It's been my experience that slowing the drive helps anything where data
> integrity is paramount. Hence why you should always burn audio CD's at 1x.
> Of course, it's entirely possible that it's entirely superstition to think
> that way

Don't remember what issue, but someone did extensive testing of audio CDRs
burnt at different speeds. The results were literally staggering:

Audio CDs burnt at 1x vs. 16x (state of the art at the time, I think) had
statistically insignificat differences in the number of errors. Further,
both had a *fraction* of the errors of the average pressed CD!

I don't remember what the unit for measuring CD error is, but burnt
discs came in under 100, while pressed CDs are allowed (and often have)
up to 500. Don't remember what issue, who wrote the artice or what.
Maybe I'll see if I can find it, if anyone is interested.

Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com