Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital CD Player for Linux
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 18:09:10 EEST

> What I see now is a huge potential market for
> designer PCs - machines that will be sufficiently expensive to
> appeal to your average yuppie. This could be a good thing, if it
> means the introduction of machines that are quieter and better
> looking than the generic PC from the chop-shop down the street.

They are already appearing - one advertiser in our magazine sells
those mini PC's which are about the size of a stack of four CD's (in
jewel cases, I mean). The PC hardware industry exceeded the average
users desktop needs several years ago - it's no wonder they are in
trouble now.

> Speaking of quiet, I've found a way to make my generic PC nearly
> silent

Give us the details! I've been looking at the stuff from
http://www.quietpc.com - including silent power supplies.

As for self-destructing Michael Jackson tracks, I don't think it's a
problem unless it, or similar technologies, spreads to tracks by
artists that we want to listen to. That could happen.

Daniel