Re: [linux-audio-user] Quiet PC's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Quiet PC's
From: Dave Price (davep_AT_kinaole.org)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 14:09:44 EEST

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 11:09:10AM -0400, Daniel James wrote:
<snip>
</snip>

> > Speaking of quiet, I've found a way to make my generic PC nearly
> > silent
>
> Give us the details! I've been looking at the stuff from
> http://www.quietpc.com - including silent power supplies.

I have a true "duct tape" quiet solution on the PC in by bedroom - pieces of leftover 'eggcrate' foam taped on the large surfaces inside the case, but not blocking vents.

What i really want to finger out is how i can run a box as a diskless/cd-rom boot system (linux xterm) and not have any hdd noise at all, yet still be able to use the local sound card - that would REALLY be quiet ... files, ?apps? and such would reside on the server in the basement. (ideas)

(with no HDD, i might consider disconnecting the pwr supply fan too)

aloha,
dave