Re: [linux-audio-user] Quiet PC's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Quiet PC's
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 16:34:42 EEST

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 05:09:44AM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> What i really want to finger out is how i can run a box as a diskless/cd-rom boot system (linux xterm) and not have any hdd noise at all, yet still be able to use the local sound card - that would REALLY be quiet ... files, ?apps? and such would reside on the server in the basement. (ideas)

You can make a linux box boot from the network but putting a special ROM
a network cards boot rom slot, but its kinda fiddly. Also you can reflash
certain bios' to use open boot methods rather than the priprietary one
that comes with normal bios'. Someone at work has done this to build a
diskless cluster, I can probably find out more if you want.

One thing you will probably find though is that NFS isn't very fast.

- Steve