Re: [linux-audio-user] Quiet PC's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Quiet PC's
From: Charles G Waldman (cgw_AT_alum.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 17:58:58 EEST

Steve Harris writes:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 05:09:44AM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> > What i really want to finger out is how i can run a box as a
> diskless/cd-rom boot system (linux xterm) and not have any hdd
> noise at all, yet still be able to use the local sound card - that
> would REALLY be quiet ... files, ?apps? and such would reside on
> the server in the basement. (ideas)

> You can make a linux box boot from the network but putting a special ROM
> a network cards boot rom slot, but its kinda fiddly.

I have a diskless Linux box which is set up to boot from a floppy and
mount / over NFS from my server sitting in a closet in the other room.
It's not that hard to do... no reason to tie up a CD-ROM or mess
around with special network boot ROM's, when a good old floppy disk
will do....

I would write up some notes on how to do this, but somebody else has
already done a better job of this than I could ever hope to do, and
posted it for your reading enjoyment at

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Network-boot-HOWTO/

Of course once you've done this you're stuck with the fact that access
to the remote disk is too slow to do recording and real-time work.
Maybe if you wire up your house with gigabit ethernet ;-)

Another option, since RAM is pretty cheap these days, would be to load
up the diskless box with several GB of RAM and mount it as a ramdisk,
this would be both quiet and fast, and you could then periodically
flush this to the remote server for storage.

Hmm... I think I might just have to buy a pile of RAM and give this
idea a try ;-)

 - Charles

--
Here comes Uncle Ernie