Re: [linux-audio-user] diskless x-terminals (was kernel in ram partition)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] diskless x-terminals (was kernel in ram partition)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 19:22:47 EET

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 03:40:41PM +0000, Malcolm Smith wrote:
> Do you mean the actual Network File System itself, not the Ethernet
> 100BaseT link? Any rough guess how many 16bit 48kHz tracks one could get
> safely?

Based on some tests I did: none. At least not if you want reasonable
latency.

The test I did was with 3com 3c905's on switched and unswitched private
networks. One packet in a hundred thousand or so would get delayed by up
to 500ms for no obvious reason.

I havn't tried with cards other than the 905's they may be the source of
the problem.

IEEE 1394 on the other hand has 4x more bandwidth and an isochronous
(guaranteed low latency) mode, so its not obvious why anyone would want to
use ethernet.

- Steve