Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-dev] eno tells me to give up

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-dev] eno tells me to give up
From: Jason (hormonex_AT_yankthechain.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 20:11:43 EET

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Jason wrote:
> >
> > interesting. I find it interesting that from your stated thesis you
> > dismiss live music.
>
> Not so much live music in it's entireity but the live music that is just
> a carbon copy of the cd.
ah. point.

<snip>

> How would you define that moment? Is it hearing a computer composition
> that has a mind or hearing organic improvisation based on the standards
> devised by humans? What is the likelyhood that a computer could
> improvise something that would make a human think "Damn, that brothers
> got soul!"

I think if a computer improvised something that made a human think "damn
that brother's got soul, then I'd be impressed. It seems to me that the
more a composer gives over to the
machine, the less control she has over the impact of the piece. When that
control is given to a talented human, it is faith well placed. But with a
mchine, it's really just some fancy footwork and essentially meaningless
manipulation of data. Randomness is not art, IMHO.
I recognize that reasonable people might differ on this point.

--
YankTheChain.com - You can pretend we're not here. That's what I do.

,