Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-dev] eno tells me to give up

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-dev] eno tells me to give up
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 21:06:24 EET

Jason wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
> > Jason wrote:
> > >
> > > interesting. I find it interesting that from your stated thesis you
> > > dismiss live music.
> >
> > Not so much live music in it's entireity but the live music that is just
> > a carbon copy of the cd.
> ah. point.
>
> <snip>
> >
> > How would you define that moment? Is it hearing a computer composition
> > that has a mind or hearing organic improvisation based on the standards
> > devised by humans? What is the likelyhood that a computer could
> > improvise something that would make a human think "Damn, that brothers
> > got soul!"
>
> I think if a computer improvised something that made a human think "damn
> that brother's got soul, then I'd be impressed.

even then, i would not.
i'm not interested in the emotions and wisdom of computers, since
currently they have none.
even though i may someday not be able any more to distinguish
artificial jazz from human jazz, i know i'd be very disappointed to
find out i have been listening to a machine, which would pretty much
spoil the concert for me :)

not that i'm not fond of cool gadgets, but seeing a dual athlon do
some wild rendering in real time triggers a completely different
kind of "wow, cool" event in me than does a miles davis solo.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany