Re: [linux-audio-user] .avi file players

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] .avi file players
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 15:11:37 EET

Jeremiah Benham hat gesagt: // Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> What .avi players do you guys use. I have the crossover pluggin. I don't
> think I can install windows media player with it. I have not tried though.
> The avi files did not seem to want to work in quicktime. I downloaded
> mplayer but they warned me that I should not use gcc 2.96. Is it easy to
> upgrade or downgrade gcc? I am assuming this is potentially dangerous. I
> know avi plugins are available for xmms. Any of you have any expereince with
> this?

You could also try aviplayer from the avifile package
at avifile.sourceforge.net. I was using the 0.5 branch
but upgraded recently to 0.6 from CVS. That needed a
bit of library fetching (divx4, ffmpeg...) but now it
works like a charm, fullscreen and what not. Combine that
with the newest xine for mpg/dvd viewing and transcode
(http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/)
for ripping into AVIs plus vcr (http://www.stack.nl/~brama/vcr/) for
recording from a tv card and you have a complete multimedia/video solution
for Linux.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __