[linux-audio-user] Identification of mp3 files

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Identification of mp3 files
From: Peter Hanappe (peter_AT_hanappe.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 15:42:28 EET

Hi,

I'm looking for a little command line tool that tells me whether a
file is a MPEG encoded audio file or not. Something similar to
ImageMagick's identify command but for audio.

The standard "file" command tells me the mp3 files are wave files.
ecalength returns "s16_le,2,44100" as the format. sox hands me back an
informative error message but I don't want to do any file
conversion. I've tried several mp3info and mp3tool(s) applications but
they focus on the ID3 tags.

Surely there must be some utility our there?

Thanks,

Peter

PS: does this sound as a feature request for ecatools?