Re: [linux-audio-user] finale 2000 on wine

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] finale 2000 on wine
From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky ("M.)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 20:15:32 EET

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> I don't understand why they don't make their programs
> in java. They would not have to worry about making a
> mac and win then porting it to others. Just making it
> java would allow it to work on any OS that can run
> java wouldn't it. Why not kill all birds with one
> stone?

Quite a few e-music codes *are* in Java, now that the underlying mechanisms
required are in existence and reasonably efficient. However, Sun Java is
supported fully only on Windows, Linux and Solaris. I don't recall a
fully-compatible Macintosh version, nor are any of the other common UNIX
flavors supported.

Be warned, though -- the Java development tools are *huge*, on the same order
of magnitude as the Microsoft Developer Studio. They are less expensive, though
-- individual use licensed stuff is free for download and modestly priced on a
CD subscription basis. If you want to go this route, I recommend the CDs unless
you have a high-speed Internet connection.

I think a more portable and more efficient solution for many e-music needs
would be to use a portable open-source GUI toolkit such as Tcl/Tk or GTK+ and a
portable open-source audio processing package such as "sfront" for the
underlying sound manipulation. That's the route I'm going, except that I use
CoolEdit2000 for the things it's good at rather than trying to roll my own.

--
znmeb_AT_aracnet.com (M. Edward Borasky)
http://www.aracnet.com/~znmeb

When puns are outlawed, only inlaws will have gnus.