Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar interfacing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar interfacing
From: Jason (hormonex_AT_yankthechain.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 04:46:01 EET

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Tobias Ulbricht wrote:
> > But most of the better condenser mics require power to be provided
> > by the preamp. If the mic requires phantom power, it's probably
> > marked on the mic somewhere. This is called "phantom power" and
> > it's usually 48V DC. These mics cannot be connected directly to
> > your soundcard. You'll need a mixer or a standalone mic preamp
> ^^^^^^
>
> So any mixer that provides these "mic" inputs (usually they are, say track
> 7 and 8 of the 8-track-mixer??) provides the 48V DC current?
> And still I could use these plugs for, say recording another two guitars
> (on top of the other 6 guitars on the remaining :) savely? Meaning the
> "phantom power" doesn't do any harm to any other audio source....?
most lowend mixers have a switch on them that turns the phantom power on
on all the microphone inputs. The whole thing works because as it turns
out- and I'll yield to anyone who understands this better, because it
seems like voodoo to me- Direct current and Alternating current can
actually coexist on the same conductor without interfering with eachother.
so it doesn't effect your audio at all. Just be careful to never send
phantom power to a ribbon microphone because they are to fragile to take
the 48V spike when it first reaches the element.

--
YankTheChain.com - You can pretend we're not here. That's what I do.

,