[linux-audio-user] midi

Subject: [linux-audio-user] midi
From: luis jure (luisjure_AT_multitel.com.uy)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 15:53:06 EET

hello list,

i don't have a midi card to connect to an external device, so i should be able
to use either or:

- the internal synthesizer of my sound card
- a software synthesizer like timidity

my questions are:

1 - i have a yamaha ymf740 card (on-board mother intel SE440BX-2)

  1a - can someone give me an idea how to make the internal synthesizer work?
       i searched in vain the alsa documentation and the archives of the
       alsa mailing list.

  1b - if the yamaha doesn't work, is there a decent but not too expensive
       ($200-300) card i can use it's internal sound module in linux?

2 - is there a way timidity or other software synthesizer can be recognized
    as the midi device by a sequencer like jazz, muse or brahms?

thank you,

lj

-