Re: [linux-audio-user] midi

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] midi
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 23:02:17 EET

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, luis jure wrote:

> i don't have a midi card to connect to an external device, so i should
> be able to use either or:
>
> - the internal synthesizer of my sound card
> - a software synthesizer like timidity
>
> my questions are:
>
> 1 - i have a yamaha ymf740 card (on-board mother intel SE440BX-2)
>
> 1a - can someone give me an idea how to make the internal synthesizer
> work? i searched in vain the alsa documentation and the archives
> of the alsa mailing list.
>
> 1b - if the yamaha doesn't work, is there a decent but not too expensive
> ($200-300) card i can use it's internal sound module in linux?

if the ymf740 is like the ymf744b (and i think it is), then both midi i/o
and the internel synth are worthless in linux. i think the soundblaster
cards are good for comsumer-level stuff, and cheap. i can't think of any
pro-level cards with internel synths (pulsar, etc.) that work under linux.

> 2 - is there a way timidity or other software synthesizer can be
> recognized as the midi device by a sequencer like jazz, muse or
> brahms?

i don't use these, but i know that it can be done with oss (softoss),
which i also don't use, and hopefully with alsa. if not, midishare might
work.

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'