Re: [linux-audio-user] CMN or Lilypond? Music Notation software and tools?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CMN or Lilypond? Music Notation software and tools?
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 16:07:10 EET

    Jeremiah> Rosegarden will import and export these and be able to
    Jeremiah> export csound .sco and many other formats like latex.
>> From what it sounds rosegarden sounds like a great
    Jeremiah> start. I was wondering if I could then export this as
    Jeremiah> a standard midi file and either input it into CMN or
    Jeremiah> lilypond.

I use lilypond for the stuff I do (see
http://www.laymusic.org/music-publish.html). I have had some limited
success exporting pmx from rosegarden and running pmx2ly on that to
get it in lilypond. I've never found the midi2ly script (in its
current form) at all useful.

Another possibility is to take your MIDI file and use midi2abc to get
abc, which you can then use for notation via either abc2ly and
lilypond or directly via abc2ps.

    Jeremiah> If this is not directly supported under CMN or Lilypond
    Jeremiah> is there any tools to convert midi to a CMN or lilypond
    Jeremiah> notation. If there is not would it be difficult to
    Jeremiah> create some sort of script file to do the conversion?

There is some sort of script file (python) in lilypond; I would
recommend that someone taking this route improve that one (and submit
the patches) rather than writing their own.

    Jeremiah> I am impressed by lilypond and CMN ability to use text
    Jeremiah> files to create input. I believe that it would be
    Jeremiah> easier to have to do a few revisions to a converted midi
    Jeremiah> file to correct for things that where either not
    Jeremiah> converted correctly or to finalizing edits. I infered
    Jeremiah> that this code is actually easier than fumbling around
    Jeremiah> with some gui that has all these features that are
    Jeremiah> hidden behind strange symbals in vague menus. You can
    Jeremiah> probably tell I use to use finale!

I agree with this entirely. I do a lot of quick scripts to add
lilypond directives to my files and can convert a whole book with one
script in less time than it would take to read one file into a GUI.

Let me know offline if you want more details about the things I've
tried and what the problems were.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574