Re: [linux-audio-user] sample rate for raw file

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sample rate for raw file
From: Dave Price (davep_AT_kinaole.org)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 06:02:57 EET

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:58:20PM -0600, author wrote:
<snip>
> I ripped a track from a cd into a .raw file.
> I want to play it using the Linux command line program play,
> but play wants a sample rate in Hertz. Can anyone
> tell me what value that might be?
> Also, I'd like to use sox to convert the .raw file
> to a .wav, but sox also wants the sample rate,
> and something called the encoding.
> What do I enter for sample rate and encoding?

If it came off a normal CD, it should be 44100 Hz. Not sure why you
would want to go to RAW tho; why not use a ripper like cdda2wav that
goes right to .wav for you?

In a console or xterm, you can use bplay (buffered player) to playback
wav files , and it will read the header and finger out the sample rate
(and tell you what it is).

For encoding, consider lame, or it's faster cousin, gogo (sourceforge).

For mpeg playback from a console or xterm, look at mpg123, or mp3blaster
(nice ncurses interface, and still very light).

If you use X11, consider installing grip, which is a nice little gtk
frontend for ripping, encoding and playing with cd-audio, .wav and mp3
files.

aloha (and HTH),
dave