[linux-audio-user] sample rate for raw file

Subject: [linux-audio-user] sample rate for raw file
From: author (millward_AT_Ms.Umanitoba.CA)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 03:58:20 EET

I know nothing about processing sound using
a computer so I have a couple of really dumb
questions to ask. I hope someone will have the
patience to answer because I have not got
the mildest idea of what to do.
I ripped a track from a cd into a .raw file.
I want to play it using the Linux command line program play,
but play wants a sample rate in Hertz. Can anyone
tell me what value that might be?
Also, I'd like to use sox to convert the .raw file
to a .wav, but sox also wants the sample rate,
and something called the encoding.
What do I enter for sample rate and encoding?