Re: [linux-audio-user] Brahms/SB Live/Mandrake 8.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Brahms/SB Live/Mandrake 8.1
From: Nelson Posse Lago (lago_AT_that.com.br)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 01:49:38 EET

On Tue, Dec 11 2001 at 10:30:34pm +0100, Ola Andersson wrote:

> I have downloaded and compiled Brahms [...]
>
> Am I using alsa or OSS?

Brahms uses aRts; I don't know much about it, but if you're not using KDE
you probably have to start it manually.

> Should I use ALSA or OSS?

ALSA usually is a better choice, unless there's something against it
(like, it doesn't have a driver for your hardware, or there are
incompatibilities between the app you want to run and the OSS emulation).

> Is there a better choice then brahms for making/editing/recording music and
> midi. MuSE?

IMHO, the most advanced linux midi sequencers are muse and jazz++. I
couldn't run anthem to check it out, but I believe it's still in it's
infancy.

> What other (type of) tools are usefull? Is anyone using Linux for
> creating sound/music for real? I cannot find any stable sound apps at all
> except players and encoders. I don't have any experience in this field at all.

Well, for experimental classical music, there's a *lot* of cool apps, but
they are very demanding on the user. PD (pure data), CLM, jMax...

As far as more mundane apps go, things are not really cool yet, but will
be soon enough. Ardour and muse are getting closer every day to being very
featureful and stable.

> Is there a better distribution for sound apps (heck, not even nuatron is
> working!)? Idealy, I would like a distribution with _FEWER_ programs, and
> programs that work well together.

Hmmm... not yet, although there's a project for it (demudi).

Hope this helps,
Nelson