[linux-audio-user] Brahms/SB Live/Mandrake 8.1

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Brahms/SB Live/Mandrake 8.1
From: Ola Andersson (mnomn_AT_mnomn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 23:30:34 EET

Hello.

I have downloaded and compiled Brahms (a KDE sequencer and midi editor), but
it doesn't output any sound. I tried to play an imported midi file as well as
the example project that came with Brahms. Another funny thing... kmidi
managed to play the midi file, but kmid failed.
I am using mandrake 8.1.

Am I using alsa or OSS? How do I check? kcontroll is normally on auto. "Test
sound" in kcontroll doesn't work when I chose ALSA, but alsaplayer can play
MP3 files. My /etc/module.conf says alias sound-slot-0 emu10k.

Should I use ALSA or OSS?

Is there a better choice then brahms for making/editing/recording music and
midi. MuSE? What other (type of) tools are usefull? Is anyone using Linux for
creating sound/music for real? I cannot find any stable sound apps at all
except players and encoders. I don't have any experience in this field at all.

Is there a better distribution for sound apps (heck, not even nuatron is
working!)? Idealy, I would like a distribution with _FEWER_ programs, and
programs that work well together.

/Ola A