Re: [linux-audio-user] midi file editor/sequencer/player

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] midi file editor/sequencer/player
From: Larry Troxler (lt_AT_westnet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 23:22:37 EET

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> if you have some experience with tricky compilations, please check
> out werner schweer's muse (http://www.muse.seh.de).
> the midi sequencer beats anything i have seen for linux so far.
> werner is working on audio integration as well, but that is not for
> the faint of heart yet.

In case anybody's interested in an experience datapoint, I'm currently
using Muse 0.14 with MIDI only. Instead of using the integrated audio, I
am piping the MIDI into PD using an ALSO virtual port.

My experience so far, is that compared to Jazz, which is the only other
Linux sequencer I have used, it is much more feature-rich, but on the
downside is a bit more buggy. There are some actions that cause
segfaults. I think that once it gets more stable, it could be a great
application.

As for tricky compilation (Ahh, how I like that Jorn uses that old word,
rather than the newly invented "compile"-is-a-noun which makes me
vomit), I didn't have problems compiling version 0.14, so perhaps
someone that doesn't need the latest fixes or features could work with
that version, until the build process on 0.16 gets easier.

Again, this is just my personal experience, and YMMV, but I thought it
might be helpfull for people here who are deciding on which sequencer to
try.

Larry Troxler