Re: [linux-audio-user] midi file editor/sequencer/player

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] midi file editor/sequencer/player
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 05:03:40 EET

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:22, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

> well, there is my own stuff: GeoMaestro on KeyKit

Looks interesting but KeyKit itself will never be truly open
source so any work based on that code base has a dubious future.
Such a pity because it seems to be the most powerful and complete
"engine" available on linux for years... but... after those years
there are two main reasons why it's not mainstream: hard to learn
how to use (ie; non-intuitive) and the non-open-source license.
(I'm referring to KeyKit itself)

> includes a original and very powerful MIDI sequencer called the Compositor,
> and even some DSP through Csound

Again, very interesting potential but blown away by difficult
to use components that may, on a good day, fit in with an end
users current system (ie; _might_ all compile and work if the
wind is blowing in the right direction).

> definitely NOT user-friendly and quite difficult to get into, but also
> completely open and customizable for people who are not afraid of
> programming

I am. I unashamedly avoid "not afraid of programming" challenges.

Again, great potential... for muso hackers.

I just want to create songs but reading extensive documentation
and lots of head-butting over wtf this or that does not work, or
compile, is not what I consider a musically inspiring pass time.

> ... certainly infested with bugs, also...
>
> homepage (download, documentation, tutorials, example compositions):
> http://www.zogotounga.net/GM/GM0.html

Thanks for the pointer/reminder, maybe the positives will outweight
the negatives and generate some interest and creativity via this
package.

--markc