Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card
From: Speaker to Vegetables (speaker-to-vegetables_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 17:00:23 EET

> it seems my device doesnt exist!
>
> i have a Turtle Beach Pinnacle rev E, which i have successfully
> installed on my previous versions of Mandrake with a few hacks to
> /etc/modules.conf and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit....
> its a difficult card to configure, but not impossible, it is
> supported...
>
> i've just installed mandrake 8.1, and tried my usual hacks but
> they're not working this time...

These may be things you've already tried, but just in case...

The card won't show up in /proc/interrupts until it generates a
interrupt, which it won't do until it has been initialized by the
proper driver. If it's a PCI card, check /proc/pci or the lspci command
to verify that the card is still visible to the pci bus.

Find the driver module for your card, probably in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc. It will be snd-card-<something>.o
for an ALSA driver, something else for an OSS-type driver. Try manually
card it should produce some kind of error message either on your
terminal or in the system log. I'm sorry, I don't remember where
Mandrake stashes its logfiles, probably somewhere in /var/log.

The ALSA soundcard matrix http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/ doesn't
show the Pinnacle card, but hopefully one of the cards that is listed
is compatible, in which case the <something> in the card driver module
name would be cs4236, wavefront, or sonicvibes.

> having a look in /proc/interrupts it seems my card has disappeared!!!
> its supposed to be on irq=10, but its not listed....
>
> i do have a *lot* of stuff in my machine... it does this and
> disappears from time to time in That Other OS too...

Does anything else show up as using irq 10? If so, that could be a
problem. Interrupt sharing is supposed to work, in general, but
sometimes it doesn't. Especially for ISA cards.

--
"Can you remember the future? Forget it!"