Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 22:06:18 EET

iriXx wrote:

> hi all
>
> i have a strange problem here... not your average sound card config question.
>
> it seems my device doesnt exist!
>
> i have a Turtle Beach Pinnacle rev E, which i have successfully
> installed on my previous versions of Mandrake with a few hacks to
> /etc/modules.conf and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit....
> its a difficult card to configure, but not impossible, it is supported...
>
> i've just installed mandrake 8.1, and tried my usual hacks but they're
> not working this time...
>
> having a look in /proc/interrupts it seems my card has disappeared!!!
>
> its supposed to be on irq=10, but its not listed....
>
> i do have a *lot* of stuff in my machine... it does this and disappears
> from time to time in That Other OS too...
>
> so i tried the other well-known trick, booting into windoze,
> initialising the card and then booting into linux....
> still no luck...
>
> any ideas on how i can get it to recognise the device?... will i need to
> mknod or something?...

just a few ideas :

*if the card is isa-pnp, run pnpdump.

*if you swapped cards recently, check if the slot is assigned a
proper irq in the bios.

*check if the card is firmly connected.

*if you have spare isa slots, move the card around.

*does your isa bridge show up in lspci ?

luck,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany