Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card
From: iriXx (iriXx_AT_irixx.org)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 23:41:59 EET

hi,

> just a few ideas :
>
> *if the card is isa-pnp, run pnpdump.

ahhh... yes, 've ust reminded myself of one of the problems...

pnpdump segfaults.... with the following message

(READPORT 0x027b)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING

Segmentation fault

hmm.... doesnt look good... but i'm not really familiar with pnpdump, its usually worked fine in the past.
from what i'm guessing... this output is a sure sign i need to try moving my cards around?...

> *if you swapped cards recently, check if the slot is assigned a
> proper irq in the bios.

okay... i'll check that one..

> *check if the card is firmly connected.

yup. it works fine in win98, but on rebooting to linux its not there.
interestingly, win98 wont start it automatically, i usually have to reconfigure it in windoze before it runs....

> *if you have spare isa slots, move the card around.

yeah.... this is the conclusion i'm coming to...

> *does your isa bridge show up in lspci ?

yes, it looks okay :o)))

> luck,
>
> jörn

thanks heaps

iriXx

www.iriXx.org

"... faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we cannot see"