Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 02:29:33 EET

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:41:59 +0000
 iriXx <iriXx_AT_irixx.org> wrote:

> ahhh... yes, 've ust reminded myself of one of the
> problems...
>
> pnpdump segfaults.... with the following message

Since your sound card is plug and play, this IS most likely
the problem. pnpdump outputs a configuration file that is
usually saved as "/etc/isapnp.conf" and then should be
edited to set the desired settings for your pnp devices.
Newer 2.4 kernels have built in ISA pnp support which I
believe changes things a little. I'm not exactly sure the
differences between the older system using isapnp tools and
the new built in kernel ISA pnp support, but it sounds like
the settings for your card aren't being set.
Check /var/log/messages for any kernel oopses that may have
occured after running pnpdump. If you do get an oops, you
probably want to get a newer kernel. On the other hand there
may be something wrong with the pnpdump program which is
part of the isapnptools package, in which case you would
want to see if there is an update from Mandrake for it.
If all this fails, some debugging of pnpdump might be in
order, but that would require some programming knowledge.
Good luck.
    Josh Green