Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] the mystery of the disappearing sound card
From: iriXx (irixx_AT_irixx.org)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 12:41:16 EET

hi!

Josh Green wrote:

> Since your sound card is plug and play, this IS most likely
> the problem. pnpdump outputs a configuration file that is
> usually saved as "/etc/isapnp.conf" and then should be
> edited to set the desired settings for your pnp devices.

yes... it doesnt even get that far!.... pnpdump segfaults and dies
:o(((... !

> Newer 2.4 kernels have built in ISA pnp support which I
> believe changes things a little. I'm not exactly sure the
> differences between the older system using isapnp tools and
> the new built in kernel ISA pnp support, but it sounds like
> the settings for your card aren't being set.

yup, thats right :o)))

i'm running 2.4.8-26mdk (mandrake 8.1)... could that complicate things
with pnpdump?....if the kernel supports ISA directly...?

> Check /var/log/messages for any kernel oopses that may have
> occured after running pnpdump. If you do get an oops, you
> probably want to get a newer kernel. On the other hand there
> may be something wrong with the pnpdump program which is
> part of the isapnptools package, in which case you would
> want to see if there is an update from Mandrake for it.
> If all this fails, some debugging of pnpdump might be in
> order, but that would require some programming knowledge.
> Good luck.
> Josh Green

thanks...
i've just installed the Dec24th Mandrake cooker, but there isnt any
mention of isapnptools.... i'll look out though, they may have an
upgrade now... will check my logs for kernel ooopses too...

yeah... my skills are pretty ok with config, but i think i'd be
floundering trying to debug pnpdump!!...

i've downloaded some new kernels (aint university bandwidth great!
;o)))... and i'll try them... anyone got any reccomendations on recent
2.4 kernels for sound? (or has anyone tried the 2.5 betas?...)
its probably worth doing a kernel upgrade anyhow, that was what i was
thinking when the card wasnt loading... although AFAIK the module hasnt
changed for the pinnacle card...

thanks heaps

iriXx

www.iriXx.org

"you can try the best you can... you can try the best you can... ...the best you can is good enough"

thom yorke / radiohead