[linux-audio-user] Introduction

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Introduction
From: Gary Counsellor (sineigs_AT_eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 20:08:50 EET

Howdy everyone,
        I've been a musician for about 25 years, the last ten have been in the
digital/computer world and after messing with dos/windows since they came out
and getting really tired of rebooting and inopportune crashes (aren't they
all), my wife has always considered Macs passe and 'on their way out' (even
if they are taking a long time doing it) I finally decided on linux!
        I've been playing with Linux and several distros for about 4 years now and
the stability and speed, the comraderie and group effort involved was my
decision. Besides, I do a little programming, testing, troubleshooting and
documenting in my 'spare time' and this gives me a chance to put my effort
where, I feel, it will do the most good for the most people.
        I am currently in the process of revamping my studio. It has always been an
analog studio with digital editing added as it became feasible and now I'm
adding digital recording as well.
        The RME-Hammerfall card gets rave reviews and as they acknowledge Linux for
what it is instead of what others would have them fear, I've presently got a
96/52 on order.
        What I'd like to hear is other peoples succes stories, with various Linux
software and what they were trying to do with it. Hardware success stories,
active projects for Pro/semi-Pro software or drivers supporting hardware that
could maybe use some support.
        So! What do you all use? Suggest? Would do differently if you could? What
has got you all fired up? etc..
        Thank you all very much