[linux-audio-user] RH7.2 & esssolo1 soundcard woes

Subject: [linux-audio-user] RH7.2 & esssolo1 soundcard woes
From: Stuart Allie (Stuart.Allie_AT_hydro.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 00:00:40 EET

Hi All,

I have just "upgraded" (hah!) from RedHat 6.1 to 7.2. I have a cheap little
"ess solo 1" PCI soundcard in that box. The card worked fine under 6.1, but
fails in 7.2. Specifically, I can play sounds through it okay, but I cannot
record anything at all. Recording *did* work under 6.1, so I am wondering
what has changed and does anybody out there have suggestions for a fix?

- The kernel is 2.4.7,
- dmesg shows "solo1 v0.19" as (I presume) the driver version.
- lsmod shows esssolo1 and soundcore loaded, and I have used aumix (and
gmix) to select "line" as the recording source.
- "play sample.wav" works fine, but "record -o sample.wav" just sites there
doing nothing. Literally, the terminal clears and nothing happens.
- I tried "dd bs=8k count=2 < /dev/audio > sample.au" and that just sits
there too - until I control-c and then it reports "0+0 samples "

Strangely, every time I boot, kudzu (the RH hardware detection and config
tool) tells me that I have removed the sound card, and when I tell in to
continue booting, kudzu then says I have added a soundcard! So I let kudzu
configure it and go on booting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Stuart

"'Smile," they said, "things could be worse."
So I did, and they were...