RE: [linux-audio-user] RH7.2 & esssolo1 soundcard woes

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] RH7.2 & esssolo1 soundcard woes
From: Stuart Allie (Stuart.Allie_AT_hydro.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 06:56:33 EET

> Kudzu was introduced in the 7.X series from RedHat; and is basically a
> PnP 'wizard' that autodetects and configures PnP hardware for you. If
> Kudzu is coming up at every boot, then your configuration is not being
> saved correctly, and needs to be dealt with. Next time you
> boot, select
> either to save or remove the configuration, depending on if
> you want the
> bundled sound drivers for your ESS card.

Yeah, I've tried all the options that kudzu gives me - none of them work - I
get the same problem on every boot.

> My recommendation: Install alsa (www.alsa.org) and tell
> Kudzu to remove
> the configuration and bugger off. You will have access to more
> applications, and your sound will be much more reliable. I have gone
> through the steps on a RH7.1 box, and will be doing it to my
> unsuspecting RH7.2 laptop later this week.

That was my next step. I do find it weird that recording used to work with
rh6.1 but is broken now. Amyway, I've got mandrake 8.1 on cd smewhere, so I
will try installing the alsa rpms from that. If that doesn't work, I'll do a
manual install of alsa and see how that goes.

> I am writing instructions for fellow RedHatters to get alsa up and
> going, so if you want any assistance let me know. As a side note, it
> also gives you a great opportunity to upgrade your kernel -;^>=

Hmm, i might do the kernel upgrade to mandrake's 2.4.8 when i install the
alsa rpms.

If all this fails, i just might give debian a try :)

I'll let this list know how i go with the various options, as it might be of
use to other redhatters out there.

Thanks,
Stuart