Re: [linux-audio-user] Software finaliser

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Software finaliser
From: Gary Counsellor (sineigs_AT_eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 01:57:41 EET

> Finalizer/exciters do a lot of things besides multiband compression, such
> as emphasizing certain harmonics and de-emphasize others. Most of it can
> be faked with standard limiters and parametric EQ, which is what I prefer
> to use for mastering. It's really worth the effort to learn how to use
> those tools properly rather than relying immediately on a "finalizer,"
> because you'll find that it gives you much more precise control on what's
> going on.
>
> just my $.02

I agree to some extent Enhancers, Exciters, Maximizers (first time I ever
heard of ) finalizer Do basicaly what Jason states. To learn better
mastering techniques should be of more value than relying on magical black
boxes.
But no wheres near as quick.
About a year n half ago I used BBE sonic maximizers and some of those other
Enhancers/exciters and compared the finished product to the original. They
didn't do anything we couldn't they simply used some hellaciously rightous
(durnit! so wrapped up in spelling hellaciously forgot the word....) "program
command responses applied to to conditions introduce by OH YEAH! algorehythms!
(musicaly politic, non?) Which include leveling (you know, maxing volume
equally, unlike compression) stuff like that. all in all everybody uses them
and they do save time IF you like the results.
we're up to $.04 now. any body want to up the bid?
 I would be interested in hearing if anybody is working on something like
this. It does seem likely somebody would by now....

--
Gary Counsellor http://www.musician2000.com
sineigs.all.attitudes_AT_eskimo.com

In 1977, there were 37 Elvis impersonators in the world. In 1993, there were 48,000. At this rate, by the year 2010 one out of every three people will be an Elvis impersonator. (Source: N/A)