Re: [linux-audio-user] RH7.2 & esssolo1 soundcard woes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RH7.2 & esssolo1 soundcard woes
From: Mitch Pirtle (mitchy_AT_spacemonkeylabs.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 08:30:00 EET

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 23:00, Stuart Allie wrote thusly, with great
panache:

> Strangely, every time I boot, kudzu (the RH hardware detection and config
> tool) tells me that I have removed the sound card, and when I tell in to
> continue booting, kudzu then says I have added a soundcard! So I let kudzu
> configure it and go on booting.

Kudzu was introduced in the 7.X series from RedHat; and is basically a
PnP 'wizard' that autodetects and configures PnP hardware for you. If
Kudzu is coming up at every boot, then your configuration is not being
saved correctly, and needs to be dealt with. Next time you boot, select
either to save or remove the configuration, depending on if you want the
bundled sound drivers for your ESS card.

My recommendation: Install alsa (www.alsa.org) and tell Kudzu to remove
the configuration and bugger off. You will have access to more
applications, and your sound will be much more reliable. I have gone
through the steps on a RH7.1 box, and will be doing it to my
unsuspecting RH7.2 laptop later this week.

I am writing instructions for fellow RedHatters to get alsa up and
going, so if you want any assistance let me know. As a side note, it
also gives you a great opportunity to upgrade your kernel -;^>=