Re: [linux-audio-user] Software finaliser

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Software finaliser
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 12:51:19 EET

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:50:45PM -0800, cliffw_AT_easystreet.com wrote:
> Well, frankly....It sounds like you want something that's simple to operate.
> Something that makes those mastering decisions for you. I can dig it.
> I don't think we's really _there_ yet with these computers, ya know?

Certainly not on linux. There are options, but there's no magic black
box. I don't even know of any decent software compressors for linux,
except for the one that comes with Ecasound which I've used
successfully (though I had a hard time figuring out good settings; the
parameters are kinda unusual).

If you want quick and easy "mastering", you could do worse than to
pick up an FMR RNC compressor for $200 from fmraudio.com. OK, it's a
hardware gadget, not what you were looking for. But I gotta say it
sounds really, really nice. Here's my Idiot's Guide to the RNC:

1) Turn all the knobs to the middle (12 o'clock).
2) Plug it in
3) Turn it on
4) Switch on "Super Nice" mode
5) Make sure it's not bypassed. For some reason, the right-mode LED is on when it's bypassed, and off when it's active.
6) Start your music playing at a loud section.
7) Adjust "Threshold" so 3 to 5 of the "gain reduction" LEDs are on.
If you want to sound like FM radio, adjust so most of them are on.
8) Adjust "Gain" so it roughly matches the level when bypassed.
9) Start your music playing from the beginning and enjoy.

You can play with the Ratio, Attack, and Release knobs if you like,
but the above is almost guaranteed to sound good, and once you start
tweaking you'll never stop! It can also be abused for all kinds of
weird dynamic effects, especially if you switch off Super Nice mode.

You could, theoretically, emulate what the RNC does in super nice
mode, by connecting two or three software compressors in series. The
problem is you then have to experiment with settings on two or three
compressors... and one's hard enough. but if you want to give it a
try. As I understand it, the general idea is:

compressor 1: low ratio, low threshold, slow (high) release time. The
idea here is to turn up the quiet parts.

compressor 2: high ratio, high threshold, fast (low) attack, fast
(low) release. This catches the peaks that sneak past compressor 1.
Set the threshold high, so it's just coming on at the loudest peaks.

compressor 3 (optional): like compressor 2, only more so. A peak
limiter, basically.

The point of all this is that you get a smoother, louder signal with
fewer obvious artifacts ("pumping and breathing") than you would get
with 1 compressor.

If you don't know what "pumping and breathing" sounds like, try a
single compressor with the ratio all the way up, threshold medium-low,
attack pretty slow (at least 10 ms) and release pretty fast (0.3
seconds or less). This is guaranteed to sound weird (but occasionally
really cool).

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com