Re: [linux-audio-user] Software finaliser

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Software finaliser
From: cliffw_AT_easystreet.com
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 08:50:45 EET

Well, frankly....It sounds like you want something that's simple to operate.
Something that makes those mastering decisions for you. I can dig it.
I don't think we's really _there_ yet with these computers, ya know?

That being said,
In the Linux world, there are quite a few useful tools, especially if you
do not need realtime processing. The best start point would be
Dave Phillips fine page, (and fine book) http://sound.condorow.net

Start at the editors.
As other people have mentioned, finalizing/mastering typically involves
EQ and compression/expansion. In addition to apps, Linux has a nice (and
growing) set of plugin tools (see LADSPA) which cover some of this. There are
many apps which support LADSPA. There is much EQ stuff, compression/expansion
somewhat less. freshmeat.net and sourceforge.net are also good places to
search.

For Windows (if you must) you should check the various editors (Sound Forge is
much mentioned for two-track stuff) and look at the various Windows plugins.
(Steinberg is a good start,or search for VST) I believe the TC Finalizer is
actually available as a plugin however it is quite pricey.
(www.tcelectronic.com) That commercial goop gets explained by various music
rags, look for Electronic Musician or Future Music.

I've used various finalizers/BBE's/enhancers, etc.
As people have mentioned, you can
do the same (or better) with a DAW, (or with plain old hardware)
but if your need is the quick-and-dirty, turn-the-knob, the ease of use/cost
equation might favor the fancy boxes, unless you are...dedicated, or picky :).
(like the BBE..two knobs, one switch...no drivers,no OS..;)

cliffw