Re: [linux-audio-user] Pitch shifting

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Pitch shifting
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 22:37:25 EET

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 04:02:12 +0100, Guenther Sohler wrote:
> hallo steve,
>
> i was able to to pitch scaling now with success.
> But the result sounds quite noisy.

Is this with the FFT alorithm? I would guess that you arn't unpacking the
imaginary parts or storing the overlap correctly.

> data between two zero crossings. it also works, but it sounds quite smurphy and
> synthesized. is there a way to do it better ?

That smurphy sound is due to the fact that the formants arn't being scaled
with the fundamental. If you wan't to avoid it you have to use FFTs, LPC,
wavelets or similar.

The only one i've tried is FFT. I think its the easiest but not the best.

- Steve