Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 13:27:15 EET

Ken hat gesagt: // Ken wrote:

> At 06:12 PM 2/1/02 -0500, Laura Conrad wrote:
> >I recorded via:
> >
> > ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o lingham.wav
> >
> >I then did some minimal editing with snd (just chopping off extraneous
> >stuff from the beginning and end),

This editing via snd might be the source of an error. Maybe saving with snd
did change the file format.

Could you check, what kind of wav file you did get? You can do this with
"file lingham.wav" like this:

$ file ~/loops/hmmbaby.wav
/home/freak/loops/hmmbaby.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio,
Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz

Maybe you don't have a 16 bit, stereo, 44100 Hz file, but an 8 bit mono
11050 Hz, file. This maybe could be smaller than the mp3, if that is a
full stereo 44100 Hz, 128 kb file.

> > and created an mp3 file via:
> >
> > ecasound -i lingham.wav -o lingham.mp3
>
> I've never used ecasound, but I do find your parameters curious. The
> only way this program would know to use MP3 encoding in your second
> call (as opposed to not doing so in your first call) would be because
> the output file you specified has an .mp3 extension. Although it's
> possible that's how ecasound works, it would be highly unusual.

Yes, ecasound is that smart ;) I determines the intended file format
DOS-like from the file suffix. I don't find this unusual, actually, as it
saves me a lot of typing.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __