Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?
From: Ken (kenzo_AT_free-music.com)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 01:56:23 EET

At 06:12 PM 2/1/02 -0500, Laura Conrad wrote:
>I recorded via:
>
> ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o lingham.wav
>
>I then did some minimal editing with snd (just chopping off extraneous
>stuff from the beginning and end), and created an mp3 file via:
>
> ecasound -i lingham.wav -o lingham.mp3

I've never used ecasound, but I do find your parameters curious. The only way this program would know to use MP3 encoding in your second call (as opposed to not doing so in your first call) would be because the output file you specified has an .mp3 extension. Although it's possible that's how ecasound works, it would be highly unusual. Thus, I have a hunch there's some other thing you need to do to actually tell it to encode the file, and not merely go WAV (lingham.wav) to WAV (lingham.mp3).

- Ken
kenzo_AT_free-music.com
ken's last ever radio extravaganza http://free-music.com/ken/extrav/