Re: [linux-audio-user] SMP question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SMP question
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 22:45:57 EET

> Using a "-j" value greater than the number of processors available
> just tends to slow things down. (Causes unneeded context switches)

It does cause unneeded context switches, but the cost of that is usually smaller
than the gain of filling up the CPU time that would normally be waiting for I/O.
According to what I've read, with highly parallel systems (where 'highly
parallel' == 4 or more CPUs), the scheduler's overhead quickly causes
diminishing returns. -j4 is a good idea for dual-CPU boxes, and I usually run
-j2 on my UP machines

Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com