Re: [linux-audio-user] SMP question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SMP question
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 06:30:55 EET

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 08:27:16PM +0100, J?rn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> if you can find a pair of 600s reasonably cheap, go for it. but it
> sometimes happens that prices for obsolete equipment go through the
> roof if it's the max-out for old hardware (the katmais are the
> latest processors you can use on older slot-1 boards, and the 600 is
> the fastest katmai, so expect them to be rare).

If that happens, it may be worth looking into using a "slot-to-socket"
adapter (sometimes called "slocket" or "slotket"), so you can put a
socket-370 chip into a slot-1 motherboard. I'm currently running a
PIII-866 coppermine on an "old" Soyo slot 1 motherboard, and it's
working fine. The adapters are supposed to be fine with SMP systems,
too. For me, it was just a cheap, convenient way to upgrade my system
without buying a new mobo.

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com