Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux play command

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux play command
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 20:39:31 EET

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:03:13 -0500
author <millward_AT_Ms.Umanitoba.CA> wrote:

> The linux play command doesn't work
> on my Red Hat 7.2 kernel 2.4.7-10
> with SoundBlaster Live sound card.
> I've created a .wav file from a cassette
> tape:
> rec --format=a --size=w --channels=2 --rate=16000
> --volume=1.0 myfile.wav
> It creates OK, but
> play myfile.wav is silent.

There's two possibilities here; the recording might have gone wrong
or the playback may be going wrong.

To figure out which, open the file in a WAV editor. If there's no
waveform recording has failed, otherwise playback has failed.

If recording has failed, you may need to switch from microphone
input to line input or vice versa.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."  -- Doug Gwyn