Re: [linux-audio-user] Basic Linux Sound card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Basic Linux Sound card
From: Tobiah (toby_AT_tobiah.org)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 01:30:04 EET

The Live definitely plays around with the sound.
Even if you don't use digital out, the Live tries
to be "helpful" by squishing your signal as it
approaches max amp. Just try to make it clip; you
can't really, although the sound gets more and more
distorted as you reach 32767.

This is kin to inputs that use "auto gain". Fine
for kids playing with a cassette recorder, but this
sort of level jockeying has no place in serious audio
production systems.

The Live does do a particularly fantastic job at
fulfilling it's intended position: A gaming card.
It's fine for a MIDI setup too.

My favorite cheap card is the Ensoniq AudioPCI.
Mind you don't put the PCM level up above %80 though
as it overloads the amp. Otherwise it may be the
cleanest sounding $25 card around.

I have a Midiman Delta44 now, which does one thing
only: Excellent D/A and A/D. I did have a very
difficult time however, getting this card to work
glitch-free during multitrack sessions. Others
don't seem to report this problem.