Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps
From: Ola Andersson (mnomn_AT_mnomn.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 17:21:17 EET

That is a site I would visit.

Some thougths:

Paul Winkler wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 02:58:22PM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
>(snip)
>
>>lack of organization on the area. Basically, the lack of a "central"
>>place for audio and music resources. I think Dave Philips has done
>>a great job with the linux sound apps, and this list is a great
>>place for announcement, but this still wont issue many problems.
>>

>I've been toying for some time with the idea of a linux audio site
>that addresses some of these problems. I'd like an app listing that's
>more informative and targeted than freshmeat.

>* Software database
>
> This is the big part ...
>
> My intent here is to design a flexible framework that can be re-used
> for other resource listing sites, and release the result on
> zope.org. Too many people are maintaining app listing sites by
> hand. It's crazy!

I disagree. I like to see a site that was careful about what software
that is featured. The problem with "Sound and MIDI software for linux"
(http://www.linuxsound.at/) is that each and every piece of
sound-software made for linux is featured. Even software that is far
from being usable, or that stoped developing years ago. I would rather
see a site with more thurough information about the software that is
usable for making music/sound. I would also like to see case studies
"How to use program X and program Y together", "What SW do I neet to
...". Dave Philips have writen quite a few nice ones on o'reilly and on
his own site.

To do this with a standard interface might be hard.

/Ola A