Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 01:56:28 EET

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 04:33:09PM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Which is why I wrote the DLP's Choice page and the Freshmeat audio
> software category review. I will be the first to admit that the
> soundapps site has its drawbacks: no ratings, no search engine, no user
> reviews, and so on. It's also ad-free (except for my book, sorry about
> that), payment-free, updated monthly, available in frames and no-frames,
> and is going to stay that way.

For which we love you very much, Dave!
But last time we talked about this, you seemed pretty tired of
 maintaining the
site. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or duplicate effort
unnecessarily; but I do think a more advanced soundapps site would
be a very nice thing to have, and I know how to do it now.
But I don't think we need "yet another" site, I think we need one that's
good enough to be *the* site.

So, what do you think? Worth doing?

> Okay, here's an advance notice: Patrick Shirkey and I have been working
> on a new site dedicated to Linux audio tutorials. We're currently

Very cool. In that case, I won't plan on duplicating this type of
content. I'll focus on the more database-like efforts:

1) extended soundapps site, as described.

2) soundcard database, improving on the AQHT, the alsa soundcard matrix,
that kind of thing. So if e.g. you need a 4-input analog card, you can
search on that criteria and see what cards are supported by which drivers,
what features are supported or not, etc.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"