Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 17:58:10 EET

The Earthling Paul Winkler wrote:

> ...last time we talked about this, you seemed pretty tired of
> maintaining the site. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or duplicate effort
> unnecessarily; but I do think a more advanced soundapps site would
> be a very nice thing to have, and I know how to do it now.
> But I don't think we need "yet another" site, I think we need one that's
> good enough to be *the* site.
>
> So, what do you think? Worth doing?

Absolutely. I am willing to donate the entirety of my site or as much as
you want to use as any kind of foundation.

I agree with Paul and all of you who would like a better soundapps site.
Alas, I'm not the man for the job, and as many have already disovered,
it's a big job. Anyone interested in such a site needs to consider the
following items:

  1) How to handle additions, updates, and deletions
  2) How to determine relevant categories and submissions (should we add
video and other multimedia apps now ? TV software ? every CD player
listed in Freshmeat ?)
  3) What descriptive content is most relevant ? Who will write it ? (No
minor task even if your site lists only 100 apps).
  4) How to establish input for user ratings, reviews, suggestions, etc.
  5) Ad policy ?
  6) Who will host the site ? How permanent will it be ? How will it be
paid for if there's a fee ?
  7) Who will maintain the site against crackers, irrelevant posters,
spam, etc. ?
  8) Exactly who determines which software is included, and how is that
determined ?

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from improving my site or simply
providing something newer and (hopefully) better. Web site design has
come a long way since 1996, but all of the points above are still
relevant and require more than just a nice design or appearance to the
pages.

> ...I won't plan on duplicating this type of
> content. I'll focus on the more database-like efforts:

Excellent ! We look forward to the results of your efforts... :)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net