[linux-audio-user] background hiss

Subject: [linux-audio-user] background hiss
From: author (millward_AT_Ms.Umanitoba.CA)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 05:01:13 EET

How do you remove background hiss from
a digital .wav file?
I recorded a .wav file from a cassette tape
with a sample rate of 48000, two channels:
rec -V -r48000 -w -s -c2 my.wav
Now that I "discovered" what the mixer
settings do, I've gotten rid of most of
the distortion, but there is a background
hiss in the digital wav file.
The tape does not have this hiss, or, if
it exists I can't hear it.
If there a filter I can use to remove it?
I'm learning ecasound commands, but right
now I'm better at rec, sox, and play.
 Any advice would be most welcome.
My knowledge is very limited.