Re: [linux-audio-user] background hiss

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] background hiss
From: Jason (hormonex_AT_yankthechain.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 08:58:36 EET

The quick and dirty way to do it would be to see if you can get a
recording of just the hiss, which could be coming from anywhere in your
signal chain- it's most likely a little of everything- then invert the
phase on that file and blend back in with the original. It will get rid of
a lot of the hiss, but you'll have to play with the relative levels- and
may have to try a few different recordings if the hiss is irregular- in
order to maximize removal without adversely "effecting" the original.

 I've never tried
that in a linux app since I'm not yet confident enough that I know linux
well enough to do real work on it, but steve harris' site plugin.org.uk
lists a plugin called harmonic generator that appears to be able to do a
imple phase invert...

Anybody know of a bread and butter phase invert plugin that just inverts
phase? I did a quick search that was by no means exhaustive and didn't
turn up anything. You'd think there'd be an over abundance of that one
given the simplicity of the algorithm.

--
YankTheChain.com - You can pretend we're not here. That's what I do.

,