Re: [linux-audio-user] FreeBSD or GNU/Linux (Audio Support Comparisons)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] FreeBSD or GNU/Linux (Audio Support Comparisons)
From: digital (digital_AT_dialectique.org)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 22:33:40 EET

> so does this mean that audio support is
> lagging on FreeBSD? Does anyone have any comments on comparisons between
> the two? Should I even think about FreeBSD? Why Linux? (What Linux?)

one thing to consider may be the availability of the newest
low-latency and/or pre-emptible kernel patches, which may point you
towards linux? soundcards, video cards, and other hardware drivers
may find themselves more quickly developed for linux than other BSDs.
it depends on what you want: FreeBSD is a solid OS, but as you mentioned,
it may be better as a server than as a multimedia desktop environment.
I've used Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian and other lesser known distros; if
you're new to linux, try any one of these. i've got a strong preference
for debian in terms of maintainability, and stability (others may disagree).
i'm currently using gentoo, which is developer-oriented, but offers
unparalleled performance, the newest packages, and superb stability (among
the OSes i've tried). for multimedia, demudi (www.demudi.org) is a
debian-based multimedia distribution. very slow development though.

good luck in yr explorations...
/r