Re: [linux-audio-user] debian, 2.4x, alsa-0.9.0beta12, ymfpci HOWDID

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] debian, 2.4x, alsa-0.9.0beta12, ymfpci HOWDID
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 18:34:46 EET

Hi,
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> Eric's work brings up a certain problem of definition regarding the
> Quick Toots. My original intention was that the site would be dedicated
> specifically to *applications* and not installation/configuration.
> Nevertheless, there is obviously a great need for some kind of
> collection of setup routines for the various cards, drivers, and whatnot
> needed just to get sound in or out of a Linux machine.
>
> What do the rest of you think ? Should such pages be included in the
> Quick Toots, or should a different site (or section) evolve to present
> installation/configuration/setup directions ?

I think, that installation and configuration topics should go elsewhere.
Sometimes they can not be avoided, as using an application often means
configuring it, so that it finally works like intended, but generally I
like the idea of focusing on *using* one or more *applications* in the
QuickToots, as that's something, that hasn't been there before, if you
don't count the original "toots" by R. Boulanger and all the great
submissions to the Csound Magazine. I like the QuickToots as something like
a Linux equivalent to Csound Magazine ^_^

Esp. a topic like "how to get sound out of card X" and even "how to get
lower latency" is IMO better placed somewhere else. I think, Patrick's
suggestion of the Linux Audio User Guide is quite good. Also there is the
Linux Audio Quality Howto, that deals with getting the most out of your
card or out of your box.

Now one should only hope, that the QuickToots don't run out of
applications to feature...

bye,

--
                                                 __    __